Truagh (@1.83) vs Castleblayney (@2.2)

Our Prediction:

Truagh will win

Truagh – Castleblayney Match Prediction | 25-08-2019

Castleblayney were level by the sixth minute and five minutes later when Mark Treanor scored a trademark goal they began to take a firmer grip on proceedings. Played in bright if somewhat greasy conditions in Clontibret yesterday afternoon this was a game where Castleblayney were only headed once and that in the opening minutes when Truagh started with a goal by Aidan Coyle.

Two early second half points brought Monaghan to within 5 points. Linden's display in that match was a significant factor in him being the first Ulster goalkeeper to receive an All-star award that year. A highly controversial goal following an apparent foul on Monaghan's Brendan Murray rocked the Monaghan revival and Cork took over. The 1988 All Ireland semi-final against Cork was even less memorable. In 1988, the team reached the National Football League semi-final again but ended in a 4-12 to 1-08 drubbing from Dublin at Croke Park. With that defeat, the successful team of the mid 80s started to break up. Monaghan were holding out against a gale-force wind in the first half and were 0-08 to 0-01 behind at the break. Goalkeeper Paddy Linden had saved a penalty from Larry Tompkins. A change in management during that league run also added to the merit of the achievement. However a good league run prior to that had rescued a season where relegation to Division 2 of the National Football League looked a distinct possibility. As stated the game was decided when Cork scored a dubious goal and the All-Ireland dream died again.

The only disappointment on the day was the lack of credit given to the victors as the media seemed to concentrate solely on Derry's poor display when in fact credit should be given to Monaghan for playing them off the green carpet that was Casement Park. 3 to No 14 was the catalyst for the Farney fightback. The semi final against Derry in Casement Park on June 24 was also another triumph for Monaghan as they easily defeated Derry by 0-14 to 1-09. The question on everyone's lips was whether or not Paul Finlay would be cleared by the medical experts to play some part on a stage he was born to grace. Monaghan goaled in the 51st minute through Tommy Freeman and a succession of high balls on a beleaguered Tyrone defence saw Monaghan plunder the scores to leave just 3 points in it going into injury time. The final set for July 15 in the home of Ulster football that is Clones was between Monaghan and Tyrone, ironically the same pairing as 1988 when Monaghan recorded their last Ulster Senior Football Championship success and final appearance. Another strong Tyrone rally at the start of the second half put Tyrone on their way. In the end Finlay started the match: a match which Tyrone won by a scoreline of 1-15 to 1-13. The defence had tightened up considerably and a couple of late fantastic points by Paul "Jap" Finlay near the end were other highlights in a resolute display in front of 17,000 vocal onlookers. Alas it was a case of too little too late and Tyrone edged out winners by 2 points. Pirc Esler in Newry was the venue for Monaghan's first game of the Ulster championship where they faced a Down team who had disposed of Cavan in the preliminary round after a replay. The news that Paul Finlay wouldn't play any part due to illness proved no handicap to Monaghan and his replacement Rory Woods game a tigerish display on the "45" bringing much needed bulk and skill to trouble Derry's vaunted defence. He was awaiting results for a viral infection and up to the throw in no-one apart from the doctors treating him, the team management, players and Finlay's family was sure what the diagnosis was. Tyrone were favourites in everyone's eyes for this game but in the Oriel county there was an inner belief that their side could upset the formbook and win a title that seemed so unlikely in January 2007. Monaghan had numerous chances to level the game but they had to settle for an injury time point from converted full back Vincent Corey whose switch from No. The scoreline doesn't in any reflect Monaghan's superiority on the day as they stuck to a rigid game plan and easily disposed of a fancied Derry side. This was the day Ciarn Hanratty announced his arrival on the county stage with a 2-goal salvo which inspired Monaghan to a 2-15 to 1-15 success. A cracking goal by Philip Jordan after 6 minutes put Tyrone in the driving seat but slowly and surely Monaghan came back to trail by 1-08 to 0-07 at half time. However the scoreline doesn't tell the story of a cracking match which at one stage had Monaghan trailing by 8 points. Sales of Monaghan jerseys, flags and anything white and blue went through the roof as the county lit up in anticipation of a great day out. Monaghan folk crossed their fingers in the hope this talented lad would get his chance to play in an Ulster senior football final- an arena he deserved to be part of.


It was a great day of football and the sun shone throughout the day which is always a bonus. Other winners were Cootehill Harps (Shield winners), Magheracloone (Trophy winners) and Donaghmoyne who took home the Plate. The winning teams were Emyvale who won the John Treanor Memorial Cup, with Castleblyney runners up in this competition. We were delighted to welcome 20 teams from Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal, Cavan, Armagh, Louth and of course all over Monaghan. We would also like to thank Emyvale Credit Union for their generous donation which enabled us to provide complimentary refreshments to traveling supporters and parents on the day. Juveniles: On Saturday last, Gaeil Triucha hosted our annual U11 John Treanor Memorial Tournament. Gaeil Triucha juvenile committee would like to thank everyone who volunteered their time on the day to make the event a success.

An interesting facet of this particular game was that all Monaghan's scores came from play. Previous wins over Cavan (0-16 to 0-14), again marked by a 5 star performance from Nudie Hughes and Down (1-11 to 0-09) had brought Monaghan to the Ulster final. However 1988 will be remembered for the Ulster title win over Tyrone when a "Nudie" Hughes goal following a fumble by Tyrone keeper Aidan Skelton saw Monaghan win by 1-10 to 0-11.

Next up was an away trip to London which Monaghan easily won by 0-16 to 1-05. The league semi-final against Meath was played in Croke Park and it was a disaster for the Farney men as two early Meath goals gave them a cushion that they built a winning platform on. As it turned out it was and a last gasp Paul Meegan point in injury time was enough to give Monaghan a 0-13 to 0-12 win, guaranteeing them a semi final place as table toppers and an all important position in the revamped Division 2 in 2008. Despite the early concession of 2 goals within the first 3 minutes Monaghan dominated and could have been in front at half time but instead went in 2-04 to 0-05 in arrears. The concession of a third goal early in the second half settled matters and despite a late Monaghan rally Meath emerged winners on a 3-10 to 0-12 score. The second half display against Clare was probably the best of the season so far. The game against Offaly in the penultimate round in Clones could well be called the defining match in the group. This was achieved with a game in hand against Leitrim which was scheduled for April 15 and won by Monaghan on a 1-14 to 2-10 score. Monaghan enjoyed a fantastic run in the National Football League, winning all their 7 games. The platforms for both successes against Roscommon, Longford and Carlow were excellent first half displays where big scoring returns were racked up. This game asked more questions than it answered and it was obvious from this game that Monaghan's full back line and team in general needed a major overhaul prior to the Ulster championship meeting against Down in Newry on June 10.

Monaghan strived might and main for an equalising point but a series of missed passes and downright hard luck proved to be their downfall. The second half was a thrilling affair and despite the concession of a slack goal Monaghan led by 2 points entering the final 8 minutes. It ended in heartbreak on a score of Kerry 1-12, Monaghan 1-11. However a combination of panic and inexperience both on the field and on the line told as Kerry fought back to level terms and go a point in front with a minute left.


All the pre-match hype surrounded the question as to whether or not Tyrone's Ryan McMenamin would be playing, having been suspended following an incident in the Ulster final. He missed the game but later returned for the quarter-final against Dublin. Derry gained revenge in the Ulster Senior Football Championship with a 1-17 to 2-08 win, but "back door" wins over London, Wexford and Louth brought Monaghan to a last 12 meeting with eventual All-Ireland champions Tyrone in Croke Park. Freeman's exploits in the summer of 2005 brought him an All-star nomination and an "Irish News" Ulster All star award on the "40". They ran out flattering 2-14 to 1-07 winners in the end, limiting Monaghan to a single point from a free in the second half. On the day Monaghan had no plan "B" and Tyrone took over. In a very entertaining game the tactic of isolating Tommy Freeman up front caused havoc for Tyrone in the first 25 minutes as they leaked 1-05, the goal a spectacular effort from Freeman. However a shrewd management move from Tyrone resulted in a player being brought back to double mark Freeman and the Farney threat was quashed.

However it took a last gasp point from Paul Finlay in the final league game against Longford in Clones to earn a draw and automatic promotion to Division 1 for the first time in 18 years. 2005 was another memorable year for the county when they contested the Division 2 National Football League final against Meath at Croke Park. The league semi final against Derry in Clones was also a thriller from a Monaghan perspective. A goal within 15 seconds of the throw in by Tommy Freeman set Monaghan on their way and despite Rory Woods being sent off Monaghan held out for a 1-13 to 1-11 win.

The county was buzzing again, everywhere was a sea of blue and white and people were proud of their team once more. That ended Monaghan's run of 2007 but in terms of the previous 2 decades what a run it was. They gave their all but just came up short. A standing ovation was given by the Monaghan supporters to a team that in the words of their manager had left everything they had on the pitch.

This was a big year for the Farney county. A backroom clean out of trainers and selectors didn't augur well but the introduction of Tyrone native Martin Mc Elkennon to the Oriel set up proved to be a master stroke by Seamus Mc Eneaney for the year ahead. A straight run of seven successive victories in matches away to Roscommon and home to Longford and Carlow and away to Clare and away trips to London and home to Offaly and away to Leitrim were fashioned out of great work ethic and spirit and no little skill. The semi-final match is against Meath. The Ulster Championship saw Monaghan play in the quarter final against the winners of Cavan and Down; who meet in the preliminary round. 2007 saw Monaghan compete in Division 2A of the National Football League. If successful there they would play the winners of Derry and Antrim in the semi-final. They had initially qualified from Section A of the competition as runners up to Armagh. Having avoided the "big 2" namely Armagh and Tyrone, this was viewed as Monaghan's best chance of reaching an Ulster final for the first time in 19 years. Monaghan reached the Dr McKenna Cup semi-final where they suffered a heavy defeat to Tyrone under floodlights in Kingspan Breffni Park, Cavan on February 13, 2007. However, in recent seasons they had flattered to deceive and have disappointed their supporters when something big was expected from them.

Monaghan GAA

An easy first round victory over Donegal in Castleblayney, marked by a spectacular Eamon Murphy goal, followed by a lucky draw against Armagh in the semi final and one-point victory in the replay saw Monaghan meet Derry in the Ulster Senior Football Championship final. The replay was a better match but a late Armagh goal had Monaghan concerned. That year's Ulster Senior Football Championship was also a stirring success. The first day against Armagh, Monaghan relied on pure luck to survive for a draw, as Armagh dominated the game from start to finish, doing everything but score. Paddy Linden saved a penalty, while and Armagh player saw the line barely 30 seconds after coming onto the field as a substitute, following an apparent high tackle on Declan Flanagan. However they won by 1-11 to 2-07.